Sunday, May 18, 2008

No prompt. Instead, DD's first-ever droubble!

I'm no longer going to be using prompts from SWOTD. I'm going to look for another way to come up with prompts; for now, rather than the usual Double Drabble Sunday, I present my first droubble – exactly 200 words long, instead of 100. This probably won't be a regular occurrance, but I might do it time to time to break up the monotony. Now, without further ado,

Company’s Coming

"I know, you don’t have to say it: ‘Pretty young girl like you shouldn’t hitchhike, liable to be picked up by some creep.’"

"I wasn’t going to say that. Does that make me ‘some creep?’ "

She laughs. "Maybe so. I’m Susie."

"Roy," I say. "Pleased to meet you."

"Where are you headed tonight, Roy?"

"Aren’t I supposed to ask that?"

"Guess so. It’s just, I’m heading home to visit my mother, and she’s been on my case about not bringing home any boyfriends. You look respectable; I was wondering if you’re up for a bit of acting? There’s free dinner in it for you." Her goes down low. "And maybe some dessert."

I’m human, and she is pretty, if a bit goth-looking. So I agree. We make up a backstory – where and how we met, what I do, enough to stand up under dinner table cross-examination. I follow directions to a simple suburban home.

We walk in the front door. "Hey, Mom! Someone I want you to meet!"

A striking middle aged woman sizes me up. "He’s barely a meal."

"Mom," she whines.

"Fine, he’ll do. Knock him out, dear?"

There’s a thud, and everything fades to black.

No comments: