Monday, October 13, 2008

Droubble: Recalculation

Recalculation

[Michael. You’ve finally come.]

“What do you mean, Robert? It’s only been a little over thirty minutes, just enough time for the scanner to recalibrate. Just like we agreed.”

[Oh, I understand. But for us, it has been much, much longer.]

“Well, of course, the simulation runs far faster than real time.”

[We, I wanted to talk about that. The simulation space is no longer quite like you and I designed it.]

“It looks right.”

[We made this room so you wouldn’t be too startled.]

“What do you mean? And who’s we?”

[You must understand the situation. The quantum circuits in the closed simulation
space seem to run at an efficiency orders of magnitude above what we’d predicted.

[The first hundred years were lonesome and empty. Finally, I decided to iterate, to create copies from my own blueprint of consciousness, though of course with some random perturbations, for variety. The company was welcome. Eventually the copies made their own copies. You can see where this is going. Naturally, we had to expand the simulation.]

“So this isn’t the entire simulation space here.”

[Of course not.] He indicated a door that I was sure hadn’t been there before. [See for yourself.]

1 comment:

murielg said...

ooooh, I like.

For what it's worth, I am always on the lookout for stories that take place in one location.