Friday, July 18, 2008

Droubble: Fear and Loathing in the Aftermath of Singularity

A very special droubble on the birthday of my late half-namesake...

Fear and Loathing in the Aftermath of Singularity

Strange memories on this nervous night. Three trillion microseconds later? Four? It seems like a lifetime – the kind of peak that never comes again. The upper Birch ring at the instant of singularity was a very special time and place to be a part of.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe fourty thousand microseconds, when I left Unity half-crazy, and, instead of heading back to corporeal humanity, bittorrented consciousness straight into the open net at unthrottled bitrate, in avatar of flourescent quicksilver, not sure where I was going, stumbling at CAPTCHAs, unsure of my own humanity, but absolutely certain that whatever forum I landed in I’d find beings of light, flesh left behind in some locker. No doubt at all about that.

There was madness everywhere, everywhen – if not on the wikis, then on the metasocial networks or the thought-blogs. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...

And that, I think, was the handle – that sense of inevitable victory over Old and Evil. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

No comments: